Friday 6 July 2012

An Afternoon in the Life of Scarborough Beach


Since we have been in Perth a great deal of my time has been spent on Scarborough Beach.  Especially late afternoons and early evenings.  It is right out my front door, so the convenience is hard to pass up.  The weather is not always agreeable, but when it is I try to make the effort to get down there.  I'm wondering if the novelty of living on a beach will ever wear off for me.  I hope not...  I went down to the beach one such afternoon with camera in hand, attempting to document this day in the life of the beach.  Things that were new and surprising on that particular day (Monday 7/2/12), but almost more importantly the things I see every time I'm down there.  The following is the evidence of my observations of this place that I call home for the time being...


There are always people out and about with their dogs.  This lady was playing with her dog in the surf.  Then when she sat down and stopped playing with him, he immediately started madly digging holes in the sand.  Look closely at the middle three photos, you can see him faceplanted in the sand digging like his life depends on it!  By the end he was completely covered in sand...









A couple of other pups that came my way...















This lil dachshund was bounding through the sand with the wind in his ears like he had not a care in the world!















                  Footprints both human and canine alike.














Always a constant are freight ships in the distance off the coast.











The sand dunes that line the back of the beach along this area of the coast.








        And of course, other tourists taking photos...

















                                    My shadow on the dunes









                                I'm a giant!!



















The moon rising behind me as the sun sets in front of me...





                   Seashells litter the beach






A seagull munching on something he found that was left behind by a previous visitor







As the sun sets over the Indian Ocean, it's amazing to watch it's progression.  It slips down past the horizon so quickly you can see it moving.  It takes only a minute or two to completely disappear behind the sea.













                Surfers at sunset















You can always spot some runners along the beach as well









WAVES!!








A guy with a metal detector.   I thought this was mildly hilarious!  I hope he had some sweet finds with it...



















                Some fisherman trying their luck

















                    Silhouette of a sunset admirer
















                 A lifeguard tower










Footprints....The silent echoes of the day past on the beach.  By tomorrow these will be washed away by the rising tide and forgotten, and new footprints and memories will be made.












5 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud at "I'm a giant". Love it, great 1st entry!! You know my breath is bated for more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha glad I could give you a chuckle! :) More are on their way...

      Delete
  2. On second glance, I love the sunset admirer, the waves, and the foot prints as well, really great shots, man. Captures the beach really fantastically, I actually do feel like I spent the day there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could make you feel like you spent the day with me here. I wish you really could spend a day (or month?) :) here with me!!

      Delete
  3. ~Your picture of the moon in the light of day might be my favorite ~. Also the ending note was perfect! The whole post made me feel like I was inside your day at the beach.

    ReplyDelete